This guide explains how to set up a VPN client on an Android smartphone or tablet. You should have already initialised the VPN on your LuJam ACPU by following the instructions in the LuJam VPN Guide. You also need to have added one or more VPN users prior to following the instructions below.
We recommend that all members of the organisation should use the VPN facility to protect them when out and about. Team members who do not have a LuJam ACPU at home should use VPN when at home also.
1. Install the OpenVPN Connect app from the Play Store. You can find the app either by searching for OpenVPN Connect in the Play Store, or by following the link below:-
2. You should have already received a LuJam VPN certificate by email. The email contains the subject “LuJam VPN certificate for: <your network name>”. Transfer the VPN certificate to the mobile device. This can be by email, or by using a cloud file storage service. If the certificate is transferred by email, it is necessary to save the certificate attachment locally prior to importing it into the OpenVPN Connect app.
3. Start the OpenVPN Connect app.
4. The LuJam VPN certificate is an OVPN profile, so tap on "OVPN Profile" to import the certificate.
5. Navigate to the location of the LuJam VPN certificate and select it.
6. At this point you can choose to save the VPN password so that it does not need to be entered in future. To do this, tick the box that says "Save Private Key Password". You should have already received the password in an email entitled "LuJam VPN password for: <your network name>". If you choose not to enter the password here, you will be asked to enter the password the first time you connect to the VPN.
7. To connect to the VPN, tap on the slider next to the newly added profile.
8. OpenVPN Connect will provide confirmation that the VPN session has connected, as well as connection stats and information about the VPN gateway.
9. To disconnect from the VPN, tap on the slider next to the OVPN profile name once more.