This guide explains how to set up a VPN client on a PC or laptop running Microsoft Windows 7 or newer. Before following the steps in this guide, you should have already initialised the VPN on your LuJam ACPU by following the instructions in the LuJam VPN Guide, and added one or more VPN users.
We recommend that all members of the organisation should use the VPN facility to protect them when out and about. Team members who do not have a LuJam ACPU at home should use VPN when at home also.
1. Download the OpenVPN client for Microsoft Windows by clicking on the following link:-
It is recommended that you download the file to your desktop or Documents folder before opening it. Note, build.openvpn.net site may well be blocked by the LuJam environment. If so, please request access to the site from the network administrator using the provided form. If you are the administrator, logon to https://portal.lujam.com, go to the Events section, and whitelist the build site (blue globe icon with a green tick). Wait a minute or two for the white listing to start, then attempt to download the file again.
2. Run the installer file downloaded in step (1). User Access Control will ask you to confirm that you want to allow the app to make changes. Say “Yes”.
3. Accept the licence agreement, and then accept the default component choices.
4. The OpenVPN software needs to install a device driver to enable the VPN routing to work. When asked “Would you like to install this device software?” choose “Install”.
5. The installation process will install files to your PC or laptop. Click “Next” to continue.
6. The process will complete. Click “Finish”.
7. You should already have received an email from LuJam containing your VPN certificate, and a separate email containing your VPN password. Find the email with the subject “LuJam VPN Certificate for network: <your network name>”, and save the attached certificate locally to your PC.
8. Copy and paste the certificate file into the \Program Files\OpenVPN\config folder. You will be prompted that administrator privileges are required. Select “Continue”.
9. To start the VPN software, double click on the OpenVPN GUI icon on the desktop.
10. To connect to your home or office network, right click on the OpenVPN system tray icon, which is an image depicting a computer screen with a padlock, and choose “Connect”.
11. You will be prompted for your password, which you should have received in an email with the subject “LuJam VPN password for network: <your network name>”. You may choose to save the password, which will allow you to connect in future without re-entering the password.
12. The OpenVPN client will indicate that the connection was successful, and the system tray icon will turn green.
13. To disconnect from the VPN, right click on the OpenVPN GUI icon in the system tray, and select “Disconnect”.